Wednesday, December 10, 2008

foliage and tokens


We found an unusual leaf one day on the side walk, and I picked it up. it looked like a yellow fan with a split in the middle of perhaps the tail of an equally unusual bird, and you told me the following day that you had described it to your mom over the phone and she was pretty sure it was from the ginkgo tree. I still have it in my scrapbook at home, glowing golden against a red page and I'm not sure where but I saw the word 'gingko' today and thought about it.

I read a little about the ginkgo tree tonight. Interesting stuff. would you believe it is actually the only remaining genus in it's family which is not extinct and is known as a 'living fossil'?
Also, four ginkgo trees were among the very few living things to survive Hiroshima in 1945, and they are still alive today.
This tree has got stories. And I'm glad I have one of it myself.
Thank you André Michaux for bringing the ginkgo tree from China to North America and into my hand.

And so, I was walking home in the snow today thinking about that sunny day and that sunny leaf and had this flashing image of us, for one instant, sitting under a ginkgo tree in the sun counting each others freckles.

No comments:

Post a Comment